It’s mid January and the January blues have officially set in. I don’t know about you but I’m definitely feeling the pinch after last months festivities, in my clothes and my wallet! So when my boyfriend announced that his friends were coming to visit and that we’d be going “out out” I can’t say I was feeling my most attractive. Desperate measures were necessary to get me feeling glam again! I’d love to have spent the afternoon in a salon getting the full works but the purse strings wouldn’t allow it. So I decided to give my self a little DIY salon style pamper. For anyone else feeling a little “bleugh” this month, this might be exactly what you need to get back to feeling like yourself again.
The Night Before
Fail to prepare and prepare to fail, am I right ladies?! The night before the big event is when you’re going to want to lay the foundations. You’ve got to put in the groundwork if you want everything to run smoothly the next day. Giving yourself a DIY pamper might sound relaxing but don’t be fooled! It actually takes a lot of work to get that flawless “I woke up like this” look.
To get started and really spoil yourself run a nice hot bath and light some candles. If possible add a lush bath bomb, take a good book and a glass of wine and just unwind! (So I know I said it was work earlier but we gotta sneak in some R and R somewhere!)
After the relaxing part it’s time to get to work! Whilst bathing rid yourself of any unwanted fuzz and wash your hair. Super glamorous so far, I know! So what comes next?
- Face Mask. I mentioned in my mask binging post just how much I’m loving a face mask at this minute. This step can be done whilst you’re in the bath if you want to save on time. I’d recommend going for something quite rich and moisturizing as even after you’ve removed the mask your skin will have all night to drink up all the goodness. You should wake up with plump and nourished skin.
- Fake tan. Totally optional of course, I know a lot of you will be perfectly happy with your skin tone as it is, in which case skip this step. My legs however have a certain blue tinge to them at this time of year which I’m not particularly fond of. I wrote a post over on Shehzadi’s blog Hey Beauty Bae in the summer describing exactly how I go about this.
- Nails. I loathe painting my nails. I can’t stand waiting for them to dry and without fail I’ll smudge them. Luckily for me I have the OPI gel lamp which makes life a lot easier. I always feel instantly more glam when I have a good mani-pedi (If you’re in Dubai and want to save yourself a salon visit I also do home visits so get in touch to book yourself an appointment!) Don’t panic though if you don’t have a gel lamp or the time/money for a salon visit – this whole post is all about doing it yourself! Regular nail polish will be fine – just remember to use a base, a top coat and a bucket load of patience. Smudged pinkies will not do!
The Day of the Event
On the day of the big event I like to give myself a good two-hour window in which to get ready. I know, I know – could I be any more high maintenance! I hate being rushed or being late so I’d rather give myself more time than I need and really enjoy the experience of getting dressed. I don’t know about you guys but for me half the fun of going out is the getting ready, so I might as well make the most of it, right? If you’re a little less of a diva than I am you might not need a whole 2 hours!
- Shower. First things first have a nice hot shower and wash off your fake tan. Nobody is going to want to sit next to you if you smell like curried biscuits.
- Moisturise. I like to use a luxurious scented moisturizer, Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir is a personal fave. It’ll layer with your perfume and leave you feeling and smelling great all day. (Significantly better than the aforementioned curried biscuits!)
- Pick your outfit. Whilst your moisturizer is sinking in take some time to pick out your outfit. Make sure you’ve also got your handbag ready and packed too to avoid a last-minute panic.
- Makeup. Once you’ve decided on your outfit you know what kind of makeup you can wear. Are you going for a bold lip or a smokey eye? Now is the time to decide. Word to the wise – if you’re indulging in a glass of something bubbly before leaving DO NOT attempt a winged liner whilst under the influence – it will not end well!
- Hair. I like to do hair after makeup so I can tie it back whilst I’m putting on foundation, but you can definitely do this the other way around if you prefer. If the world was filled with rainbows and unicorns and money grew on trees I’d tell you all to go and book a professional blowdry – my favourite indulgence! Sadly it’s January and we are all skint and fat so for most of us this isn’t an option. But don’t panic, I have a great at home solution! I love my Babyliss New Big Hair styler. It helps me achieve a salon blow out all on my own. It’s so easy to use, you don’t even need a brush. The best part is that it’s super affordable at £35!
- Get dressed! You’re all done, slip into your outfit and enjoy a glass of bubbly – it’s safe to do so now that you’re done operating heavy eyeliner!
This seems like a lot of steps and it’s certainly not what I do every time I get dressed but for special occasions I love to indulge in a good pamper. What do you guys think? Do you have any more steps in your routine that I’ve missed out? Let me know what you like to do to treat yourself and shake off the January blues in the comments below.